Sunday, March 30, 2014

Thing 11: Library & Reference

It has take quite a while to explore ELM and other library search apps. I am doing some training and needed to do a great deal of exploration to be able to train others to use them.

ELM has expanded greatly since I retired four years ago and the tutorials for grades K-8 are amazing. A friend who is a kindergarten teacher had a great time with her students researching animals, based on ideas from the tutorials.

The web site I created for the school where I used to work has not kept the media center page updated. I was asked to do the necessary revisions and took that opportunity to create a new personalized ELM page. It was not without challenges, but is finally up will offer new functionality for teachers and students.

Two other search apps I have used are Overdrive and Zinio to access our public library resources. Overdrive is pretty easy and works well, even though the number of materials are not extensive due to the NW Regional budget and the high cost of electronic books.

Zinio, on the other hand, is a nightmare, even following the Zinio tutorial. I was able to set it up after several attempts. Having to set up two accounts is confusing. Searching works well, but downloading/saving and pulling up the magazine is not straightforward. As the public librarian and I looked at Zinio, we both kind of gave up on Zinio. It is too much work to set up and use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment