Saturday, January 25, 2014

Thing 6: Creating & Editing Docs


I tried both CloudOn and Quickoffice. The reviews for Quickoffice were dreadful. Google bought it and gutted it, according to most of the reviewers.

First I checked out the presentation piece in CloudOn. It was slow, had minimal help, and just seemed too hard to use. What was particularly annoying was that the program wanted you to upgrade and pay monthly or yearly fees to use almost any but the most basic features.

In Quickoffice, I was looking for a way to take the minutes for an organization I belong to. It was simple and looked just like Word. It responded quickly and gave me all the options I needed. I still don't like typing on the iPad keyboard, but when taking minutes I just get down the essentials and finish them at home on my iMac.

I have been using Textedit to take the minutes on my husband's laptop. This did not work well, but was, I thought, my only option. The iPad hopefully will work better and be easier to take to my meetings.

If your school does not invest in Word, Quickoffice might be enough for notes. I would not want to write an essay or composition using the one-finger keyboard. I didn't check to see if you can use the microphone instead of typing. That would be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment